PHLEBOTOMIST Inpatient PRN
Company: Williamson Medical Center
Posted on: June 15, 2019
At Williamson Medical Center, our employees are more than just
another number. To us, they're family. They're smart, talented,
compassionate, dedicated, and an overall joy to be around. We're
certainly blessed to have the best of the best working here from
the cafeteria to the operating room.
But as Williamson County and surrounding areas continue to grow, so
must we. That's why we want YOU to join our family!
Williamson Medical Center is an equal-opportunity employer and a
The Inpatient Phlebotomist is responsible for performing phlebotomy
on inpatients including adults, adolescents, and infants with a
focus on patient care, and positive communication with patients,
hospital staff and co-workers conducting laboratory tests which
provide information to physicians for the diagnosis, prevention or
treatment of diseases in patients.
- Promotes the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
Exhibits and adheres to WMC's Standards of Performance in all areas
of job duties and responsibilities.
- Participates in hospital initiatives and in departmental goals
set by the Laboratory Director and staff.
- Interacts professionally with laboratory management, laboratory
personnel, physicians, hospital personnel, patients and customers
to provide optimal patient care.
- Works well with other laboratory employees to maintain an
environment of teamwork.
- Exercises all laboratory safety precautions and adheres OSHA
and TOSHA safety regulations
- Positively identifies patients, labels specimens and enters
results using two unique identifiers. Maintains working knowledge
of laboratory policies and procedures.
- Maintains current knowledge and adheres to hospital policies
and state, federal and other regulatory re-quirements
- Responds appropriately to tests with a priority of STAT, call
results or timed specimens
- Responsible for training new employees and students as
- Phlebotomy for inpatients of all ages
- Collection of state required newborn screening
- Collection of urine drug screens
- Use of computer and handheld computer system to properly
identify patients and document issues.
- Assisting in other areas of the lab as needed.
Formal Education / Training:
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Phlebotomy training or work experience; phlebotomy
- Good people skills necessary
- Mobilab experience preferred
Equipment and Skills Training:
Computer, printer, phlebotomy, customer service
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical laboratory science
- Strong organizational skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to determine appropriate course of action in more
- Ability to work independently, be attentive to detail and
maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities
and to prioritize scheduling of work
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all medical, financial
and legal information
- Ability to complete work assignments accurately and in a timely
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving patients,
physicians, or others in a professional manner
- Strong computer skills
Physical and Environment Requirements:
- Exposure to blood and body fluids, infectious and contagious
- Ability to communicate in English verbally and in
- Ability to perform multi-functional tasks.
- Ability to read computer screen, distinguish color, hear phone
and conduct interpersonal communications
- Ability to learn, reason and perform mathematical calculations
related to job.
- Ability to use critical thinking skills.
- Requires light to moderate work with 40 pounds maximum weight
to lift and carry.
- Manual dexterity and mobility in both hands; exposed to
- Frequent reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling, and
- Requires prolonged standing and walking
- Flexibility to shift schedule, work extra hours or overtime as
needed by staffing deficits or high patient vol-umes
1 Positively identifies patients and specimens.
2 Uses proper technique for specimen collection and ensures proper
collection for specimen integrity. Produces work that does not have
to be redone.
3 Blood cultures and volumes are adequate.
4 Blood culture contamination rate is acceptable.
5 Turn Around Time within acceptable time criteria for ER
6 Participates in departmental meetings and process improvement
teams (laboratory or hospital, if applicable).
7 Communicates effectively.
8 Motivated - takes initiative for work that needs to be done.
9 Works as a team.
10 Works efficiently.
11 Adheres to WMC Lab attendance policy.
12 Follows Hospital and Laboratory Policies on the use of
Keywords: Williamson Medical Center, Franklin , PHLEBOTOMIST Inpatient PRN, Healthcare , Franklin, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!